- Location : Great Lakes Academy
- Position title : Character Education and Fitness Teacher
- Contact : Katherine Cherry
- Website : www.glachicago.org
Great Lakes Academy Character Education and Fitness Teacher
Great Lakes Academy is a Level 1+ charter school that opened in 2014. For the 2018-2019 academic year we will be serving students in grades K-5 and will continue to add a grade level annually to reach K-8. We are seeking high capacity, fiercely positive, growth oriented Character Education and Fitness Teacher for the 2018-2019 school year.
A Great Lakes Academy Character Education and Fitness Teacher (CFT) will be a part of a team of game-changing teachers working to change the face of education on the Southeast Side of Chicago. A CFT takes responsibility for the development and growth of character, physical ability and healthy habits of every child in the school.
1. Demonstrates a classroom culture that is fiercely positive and devotes the majority of time to instruction rather than discipline
2. Instills a joy of learning in students and works to develop self-motivated and self-monitoring learners with the skills to set, monitor, and meet goals
3. Employs previous experience, best practices, feedback, and creativity to connect with students to ensure student progression with character education, physical abilities, and knowledge of healthy habits
4. Establishes and maintains relationships with students’ families, cultivating learning environments for our students in and out of the classroom
5. Consistently models the BE GREAT Great Lakes Academy core values: Bravery, Endurance, Growth, Responsibility, Enthusiasm, Achievement, and Team
6. Develops a strong relationship with classroom teachers
1. Creates, edits, and revises a scope and sequence for physical and socio-emotional growth of scholars in the school
2. Writes and delivers lesson plans in a timely manner that are engaging and effective per student data
3. Employs a data tracking system that monitors scholar progression across the core values of the school
4. Implements warm/strict classroom instruction that supports the social-emotional and physical growth of students
5. Cultivates positive, collaborative relationships with families and maintains consistent communication with families
6. Assesses and evaluates student growth; action plans on class-wide, group-wide and individual basis in response to student data
7. Identifies and contributes to the organization of out of classroom learning experiences
8. Creates a classroom culture that develops in students the BE GREAT core values and independent learning skills
9. Participates in an annual three-week staff orientation and training during the summer
1. Outstanding classroom management that relies on positive, proactive reinforcement of high behavioral standards
2. Strong relationship builder with students, families, and other staff members
3. Critical thinker with ability to analyze data and adjust plans to improve student achievement
4. Growth mindset and ability to accept and implement feedback
5. Ability to work collaboratively and without ego
6. Willingness to place student achievement as highest goal
7. Self-reflective, with a drive to continually grow as a teacher
8. Willingness to work hard and with flexibility
1. Bachelor’s degree is required.
2. Teaching experience in an urban public school or charter school setting preferred, but not required.
3. Valid State Certification
4. Belief in and alignment with Great Lakes Academy’s core beliefs and educational philosophy is non-negotiable.
Culture Fit- Do these words describe you?
Fiercely positive, Hard-working, Intelligent, Team oriented, Organized, Sense of humor, Belief in the power of education, Humble, Self-reflective, Goal-oriented, Enthusiastic
Email your resume and cover letter to Katherine Cherry at email@example.com and go to the career page at www.glachicago.org and apply!
As an equal opportunity employer, Great Lakes Academy hires without consideration to race, religion, creed, color, national origin, age, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status, disability, or any other category protected by applicable law.