Great Lakes Academy Computer Science Teacher/Technology Manager
Great Lakes Academy is a high performing charter school that opened in 2014. For the 2019-2020 academic year we will be serving students in grades K-6 and will continue to add a grade level annually to reach K-8. We are seeking a high capacity, fiercely positive, growth oriented Computer Science Teacher/Technology Manager for the 2019-2020 school year.
A Great Lakes Academy Computer Science Teacher/Technology Manager (CST/TM) will be a part of a team of game-changing educators working to change the face of education on the Southeast Side of Chicago. Our teachers takes responsibility for the high academic achievement and character development of every child in his or her classroom. Our CST/TM will work half-time as a computer science instructor to students in Grades 3-6 and half-time as the technology manager of the school, charged with strategy, procurement and upkeep of technology for the entire school building.
1. Demonstrates a classroom culture that is fiercely positive and devotes the majority of time to instruction rather than discipline
2. Designs and implements Scope and Sequence designed to expose students to various paths of Computer Science
3. Establishes relationships with students’ families, cultivating engaging, rigorous learning environments for our students in and out of the classroom
4. Develops a strong relationship with, and contributes to the development of, fellow teachers; collaborates with all staff members across team, grade level and experience
5. Seamless implementation of cross-functional projects and day-to-day operational technology functions that impact scholars, teachers and classrooms.
1. Writes and delivers lesson plans that are engaging and effective per student data
2. Cultivates positive, collaborative relationships with families and consistent communication with families
3. Assesses and evaluates student growth; action plans on class-wide, group-wide and individual basis in response to student data
4. Creates a classroom culture that develops in students the BE GREAT core values and independent learning skills
5. Participates and grows tremendously during annual three-week staff orientation and training
6. Provides meaningful feedback to colleagues and collaborates and shares ideas and lessons with colleagues
7. Models the routine, intentional and effective use of technology in daily work, including communications, organization and management tasks
8. Keeps abreast of the current trends and best practices in instruction and technology integration
9. Consistently models the BE GREAT Great Lakes Academy core values: Bravery, Endurance, Growth, Responsibility, Enthusiasm, Achievement, and Team
1. Outstanding classroom management that relies on positive, proactive reinforcement of high behavioral standards
2. Strong relationship builder with students, families, and other staff members
3. Critical thinker with ability to analyze data and adjust plans to improve student achievement
4. Growth mindset and ability to accept and implement feedback
5. Ability to work collaboratively and without ego
6. Willingness to place student achievement as highest goal
7. Self-reflective, with a drive to continually grow as a teacher
8. Willingness to work hard and the flexibility to work through start-up challenges
9. Ability to quickly learn and implement technology innovations in the classroom
1. Bachelor’s degree is required
2. Demonstrated experience in technology lifecycle management and/or leveraging effective break/fix models
3. Teaching experience in an urban public school or charter school setting preferred, but not required
4. Valid IL State Certification
5. Belief in and alignment with Great Lakes Academy’s core beliefs and educational philosophy is non-negotiable.
Culture Fit- Do these words describe you?
Fiercely positive, Hard-working, Intelligent, Team oriented, Organized, Sense of humor, Belief in the power of education, Humble, Self-reflective, Goal-oriented, Enthusiastic, Growth Oriented
Email your resume and cover letter to Katherine Cherry at email@example.com and go to the career page at www.glachicago.org and apply!
As an equal opportunity employer, Great Lakes Academy hires without consideration to race, religion, creed, color, national origin, age, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status, disability, or any other category protected by applicable law.