Position and Organization Description
Accelerate Institute is seeking a talented Data Management Associate who is passionate about using data to drive educational equity in public schools. The Data Management Associate will be part of the Curriculum and Assessment (C&A) team and will report to the Chief Academic Officer (Dr. Catherine Burns); the ideal candidate will be based in the greater Chicago area.
The C&A team is responsible for driving all programming for the organization, and the Data Management Associate will be an important component of that team by providing critical analysis and thought partnership with Accelerate Institute staff, current program members, and external stakeholders to collect, understand, interpret, and use data to track Accelerate Institute’s progress towards organizational goals. This person will have opportunities to interact directly with our participants through on-site support during professional development and advisory sessions, as needed.
The ideal candidate will have experience working with K-12 public school data and have a strong understanding of the education landscape in Chicago. The Data Management Associate will coordinate and communicate with a wide group of internal and external stakeholders. As such, they will also need to have excellent interpersonal, organizational, and communication skills. The person selected for this role will be self-motivated, results-oriented, and committed to Accelerate Institute’s mission.
In the first three months, the Data Management Associate will focus on building their knowledge of Accelerate Institute by participating in C&A team meetings and observing/attending end of year school assessment cycles, the Annual Strategic Planning Retreat (June 2023), the all-staff retreat (June 2023), and Accelerate Summer Institute (June/July 2023) to gain firsthand knowledge of our work, team, and participants. As part of this person’s onboarding, they will work alongside the data consultant who has been supporting this work to gain familiarity with our systems, processes, and current data. The Data Management Associate will also support the C&A team in closing out the 2022-23 school year by engaging in the end of year data analysis.
About Accelerate Institute
Founded in 1991, Accelerate Institute’s mission is to enable every child, regardless of their zip code, to reach their full potential. We partner to create high-performing schools, by dramatically accelerating student achievement. Through the Growth Accelerator, Principal Fellowship, and Leadership Academy programs, we draw on the leadership model used to achieve success at our nationally recognized school, Alain Locke Charter School.
Accelerate Institute has trained more than 500 school leaders who are currently working in more than 25 cities across the United States. Our work is grounded in Accelerate Institute’s core values:
• Students First: We make decisions in which student achievement and well-being are prioritized while honoring individual student experiences.
• Absolute Excellence: We bring our best work, are productive, are present, and get accelerated results.
• Synergy: Our interactions and cooperation produce a combined effect greater than the sum of the separate effects.
• Equity and Inclusion: We value all dimensions of diversity and seek to model the fairness and justice that we want to see in the world.
• Gratitude: The work is hard. In that we find joy and are thankful to each other and show appreciation for all stakeholders.
Accelerate Institute is located in Chicago, Illinois.
Top priorities for the Data Management Associate are:
Data and Program Systems Management
• Serve as the organization’s point person for the effective and strategic use of data to inform implementation and communication of Accelerate Institute’s programs
• Find creative ways to gather and analyze data across various assessment platforms, states, and constantly changing accountability systems
• Ensure our data systems are designed with an equity lens and support the advancement of anti-racist practices in schools participating in our programs
• Keep abreast of developments in K-12 school data systems
Data Reporting and Analysis
Lead responsibility for generating reports and data analysis for the organization
• Collect and summarize data for program members (school principals) at fall, winter, and spring terms, providing detailed support as needed during the year
• Use data to tell a story of Accelerate Institute’s impact in a way that moves funders, partners, participants, and staff to understand our progress towards our intended impact and theory of change
• Collect and summarize data for Ryan Award nominees throughout the nomination and selection process
Technology Platform Support
• Support Accelerate Institute with current and future tech platforms needed to successfully operate programs, such as Canvas, Google Drive, Excel, and Salesforce
• Support Accelerate Institute staff in learning and using various technology platforms used by schools in our programs
Required Qualifications and Skills
• Bachelor’s degree, preferably in analytics, math, data management, or computer science
• 2-3 years of experience collecting and analyzing K-12 school data (e.g., NWEA, ACT, SAT, etc.) required
• Unwavering commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion, and Accelerate Institute’s mission of educational equity
• Proven track record of collaborating with team members and partners to achieve ambitious goals
• Extremely detail-oriented and organized
• Excellent communication skills, able to translate complex content to key decision-makers and stakeholders
• Commitment to providing high levels of service to various internal and external stakeholders
• Exceptional problem-solving skills; able to anticipate challenges and solve complicated problems by generating a variety of innovative, effective solutions
• Constant learner and driven to succeed; able to receive critical feedback and implement action steps that lead to growth
• Proficient in Microsoft Office; strong Excel and Google Drive skills required
Salary range: $52,000-$60,000
Accelerate Institute offers a full benefits package which includes: 100% of employee health insurance paid; dental insurance; 10 days of vacation; 9 paid holidays with paid days off between the Christmas and New Year’s holidays; a paid floating holiday; 12 days of paid sick and personal leave; parental leave; retirement plan options; long-term disability coverage; and basic life and personal accident insurance.
The application can be found here: Data Management Associate Application
For more information on Accelerate Institute, go to www.accelerateinstitute.org.
Our Commitment to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
Accelerate Institute’s vision is that one day all children will thrive in schools that graduate them prepared for the rigors of college/career and a life filled with meaningful work, active citizenship, and personal fulfillment. We recognize that our vision cannot be fulfilled without actively challenging racism and white supremacy; our vision cannot be fulfilled without actively defending the lives of people of color. Accelerate Institute is committed to being an anti-racist and inclusive organization. As such, in 2019, we began partnering with SF-CESS to launch internal DEI programming which includes monthly, all-staff DEI meetings. You can read more about our DEI journey in our Equity Stance.
Accelerate Institute embraces creating and nurturing a diverse, equitable, and inclusive space for all team members. Having a diverse organization aligns with our commitment to an equal opportunity workplace. We celebrate equal employment opportunities regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity, Veteran status, or other legally protected status. We are also ready to accommodate physically challenged or special needs individuals who require any special assistance. Accelerate Institute is proud of our history of diversity and is a strong supporter of the communities where we work.