Christopher House Elementary School is looking for a Diverse Learners Teacher to support rigorous, data-driven instruction in a nurturing school climate to close the achievement gap for the low-income student body. We are looking for ambitious and reflective teachers committed to their own professional growth in order to maximize their impact on student achievement.
With a mission to develop independent, creative, lifelong learners, our infant, preschool, elementary and family schools build a community of students, teachers, and parents committed to excellence, achievement and perseverance, respect and compassion, and equality of opportunity.
Christopher House partners with parents to provide a continuum of education for students from birth through high school, as well as immersive family supports that help parents create stable, self-sufficient families. We operate accredited early learning, elementary, and out of school time programs grounded in research-based curricula and high-quality instruction.
Children and families thrive when
• Education begins at birth and continues throughout life, with parents as a child’s first teacher;
• Home environments nurture literacy, achievement, and children’s success;
• Parents have high standards and set high expectations for themselves, their children, and children’s schools;
• Professionally trained teachers know their students as individuals;
• Evaluations and program improvements are data driven;
• Parents and staff work together to continuously evaluate and improve programming;
• Education includes the development of creativity and perseverance and is multi-disciplinary in order to foster each child’s unique strengths and interests;
• Developing independent, creative, life-long researchers, education must include curriculum designed to help scholars develop socially and emotionally as well as cognitively;
• Diversity is celebrated and explored so that learners develop broad perspectives on life and learning; and
• Parents and caregivers support their children financially and emotionally.
• Assess the needs and provide for the education and development of students with diverse needs.
• Promote school culture and ensure the needs of all learners in the classroom are met.
• Provide a high quality learning environment and instruction that meets the needs of children with diverse needs.
• Help identify and monitor IEPs that ensure students with diverse needs are provided a high-quality education in the least restrictive learning environment and in compliance with IDEA.
• Develop lesson plans consistent with the Common Core and the schools’ college prep curriculum as well as students’ Individualized Education Program (IEP) goals and benchmarks.
• Provide necessary accommodations and modifications outlined in students’ IEPs.
• Set high expectations and promote school culture for students with diverse needs.
• Use data-driven evaluation and reflective teaching evaluation to improve instruction and increase academic achievement of students.
• Leverage the arts to promote student achievement, creativity and critical-thinking skills.
• Develop a strong home-school relationship with the families to ensure effective communication to best meet the needs of students.
• Collaborate and communicate with parents and caregivers regarding children’s learning needs and how they can support their children’s academic, emotional and behavioral development.
• Meet with families as needed and serve as a positive representative for Christopher House.
• Communicate school-wide and agency-wide events to parents.
• Administrative: Complete necessary assessments, reports and records in an accurate and timely manner.
• Minimum 3 years teaching experience in an urban setting.
• Experience with IMPACT/SSM as well as NWEA and STEP assessments strongly preferred.
• Experience managing staff (assistants and clinicians).
• Bilingual skills in Spanish and/or experience working with students that are special needs and English Language Learners highly desirable.
• Bachelor’s degree in Special Education required. Type 10 Certification required. Master’s Degree preferred. Bilingual of ELL certification desired.
If you are interested in this position, please apply below.
Christopher House is an Equal Opportunity Employer.