- Location : Chicago Tech Academy
- Position title : High School Teacher - Special Education
- Contact : Linnea Garrett
- Phone : 7735347299
- Fax : 773-534-7757
- Email : firstname.lastname@example.org
- Website : www.chitech.org
Responsibilities of the ChiTech teacher include but are not limited to:
Strive to engage students while maintaining rigor.
• Has students making, building, and doing (i.e. projects).
• Connects student work to the adult world outside school.
• Experiments with a range of teaching strategies.
• Has students presenting and talking about their work.
• Uses engaging, creative, and appropriate assignments and resources
o Assigns homework that has a clear purpose.
o Limits use of textbooks and publisher created worksheets.
o Rarely shows movies and only does so when there is a sound educational reason.
Develop appropriate relationships with students.
• Is friendly without being the student’s friend.
• Manages “everyday” discipline issues first in the classroom.
• “Kicks it upstairs.” Reports troubling student behavior to administrators.
Work well with colleagues.
• Strive to develop interdisciplinary curriculum across the team.
• Is flexible. Is easy to get along with. Is open minded in conversations.
• Participates in meetings and staff days.
• Does his/her share. (makes an effort to support outside activities; etc.)
• Has a positive attitude. Is solution oriented when problems arise.
Strive to teach to the diversity of students in the classroom (ethnicity, gender, culture, “ability,” etc.).
• Personalizes instruction.
• Supports struggling students and challenges strong students. “First you open the ceiling; then you set the floor.”
• Sets the expectation that all students participate in class activities.
Work well with parents.
• Provides a thorough syllabus at the beginning of the year and posts it on his/her digital portfolio.
• Responds to parents’ questions and concerns.
• Encourages parent participation.
• Maintains a non-defensive posture.
• Writes meaningful, personalized comments.
Act as an advisor for a group of students.
• Acts as the primary advocate for the student, both socially and academically.
• Completes credit checks for all advisees.
• Does a home visit for all new advisees (preferably in the summer before school begins).
Improve as a reflective practitioner.
Follow and enforce school rules.
Arrive on time to meetings, classes, and school.
Characteristics, Knowledge and Skills
• Demonstrated passion for and commitment to the mission and success of Chicago Tech Academy
• Clear collaboration with other staff members.
• Demonstrated sensitivity to and respect for a diverse population
Education and Experience
• Candidates must have an Illinois teaching credential and relevant subject endorsement.
• Familiarity with project based learning and teacher leadership experience is helpful but not required.