About Alain Locke
Founded in 1999, the mission of Alain Locke Charter School is to provide its students with the educational opportunity to achieve their potential. The school exemplifies excellence in academics, the arts, personal, and social development and producing students who are globally competitive. Alain Locke’s culture is a commitment to absolute excellence and is present in every element of day-to-day life at the charter school.
About the Position
Alain Locke Charter School is currently seeking a Math Instructor (5-6 grades) for the 2022-23 school year. PK-8 grades are utilizing the Eureka Math² program.
The 5-6 grade Math Instructor is responsible for creating a well-rounded, comprehensive instructional program as well as maintaining a classroom environment that promotes learning.
Roles and Responsibilities
The following list of job requirements describes the general level of work by staff members assigned to this job and is not meant to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required.
• Create a positive educational climate that is conducive to learning
• Manage student behavior by utilizing approved strategies and procedures
• Create and facilitate lesson plans that integrate learning objectives
• Utilize various curriculum resources and assessments for instructional planning and progress monitoring
• Utilize a variety of learning strategies in each lesson that includes differentiated instruction within those lessons
• Plan and execute whole and small group instruction
• Grade papers and perform other administrative duties as needed as well as maintain grade books
• Participate in the Multi-Tiered System of Support program which includes planning and facilitating individualized strategic interventions
• Participate in school-wide professional development opportunities
• Contribute to the accomplishment of school and classroom goals
• Participate in activities to ensure a positive school culture
• Follow and enforce Alain Locke policies
• 2 or more years of teaching experience with record of student achievement
• Able to utilize materials effectively to enhance instruction
• Strong time management skills
• Able to adapt to different tasks as needed or requested
• Able to work with a minimum of supervision
• Demonstrates effective communication skills
• Able to use a variety of problem-solving techniques
• Able to work in a collaborative manner with school personnel and parents
• Bachelor’s degree (BA) from an accredited college or university or equivalent
• Possession of valid Illinois teaching certification
• Command of grades/subject specific content and theoretical knowledge of learning theory, including motivation, reinforcement, evaluation, and feedback techniques
Alain Locke is one of the country’s most successful charter schools. The mission of Alain Locke is to serve as a demonstration for urban schools exemplifying excellence in academics, the arts, personal, and social development, and producing students who are globally competitive.
All members of the Alain Locke community – instructors, students, parents – work together as a team to provide our students with the opportunity to reach their highest potential. Our school community is living proof that, given the opportunity, all children can learn.
Alain Locke offers a robust focused program to meet the academic, social, and emotional needs of our students. Examples of key programmatic elements are:
• An extended day, year-round program of education
• Robust use of data to individualize instruction and inform interventions
• Experiential learning including weekly clubs and frequent field experiences
• Support programs for Alain Locke graduates in high school and college
• Partnerships with community organizations to provide needed resources
• Weekly professional development for instructors and instructional staff
• Strong parent involvement including Parent Power Meetings and a Parent Advisory Committee
Alain Locke is currently looking for someone who have a proven record of success and are committed to maintaining our high academic/ social expectations for students.
For more information about Alain Locke Charter School please check out or website at www.alainlocke.org.