Position Title: Resident Teacher| Full Time/10 Month
Reports To: Instructional Coach
The Resident Teacher works with an Instructional Coach to accomplish classroom objectives. Often, they supervise instructional activities to help facilitate daily lessons. The resident teacher may lead entire lessons, work with small groups of students, or with one student at a time. Resident Teacher duties may also include helping teachers with clerical tasks like taking attendance or recording grading. Additionally, they may confer with teachers on student performance, and they may oversee students outside of the classroom as needed.
● Assist the classroom teacher/instructional coach in arranging the learning environment, including assembling and putting materials on bulletin boards and/or other classroom learning displays and in keeping such displays current.
● Under the supervision of the certificated teacher, prepare for classroom activities by distributing and collecting papers and other instructional materials for classroom instruction.
● Assist students in completing classroom assignments, homework, and projects. Assure students’ understanding of classroom rules and procedures and assist students by answering questions, providing proper examples, emotional support, friendly attitude, and general guidance.
● Assist the assigned teacher with the implementation of lesson plans. Administer various assessments as directed. Prepare mandated reports and documentation as required.
● Tutor individual or small groups of students, reinforcing instruction as directed by the teacher. Monitor and oversee student practice and assignments in various subjects. Confer with the teacher concerning lesson plans and materials to meet student needs and assist with the implementation of lesson plans.
● Assist other team members (teachers) as needed.
● Perform a variety of clerical duties in support of classroom activities, such as preparing, copying, and filing instructional materials. Grade student assessments and assignments, recording of grades and attendance, lunch reports, and maintaining student records and files as assigned.
● Operate and care for instructional equipment and materials as assigned by the teacher. This includes preparing the room for the activity, obtaining the required material and equipment, operation of the equipment, and the return of all materials and equipment to storage.
● Assist the teacher/instructional coach with the supervision of students during non-instructional times, such as emergency drills, assemblies, cafeteria, restrooms, field trips, hallways, and dismissal.
● Assure the health and safety of students by following established practices and procedures and maintain the learning environment in a safe, orderly and clean.
● Observe and monitor student behavior throughout the school building according to approved restorative practices, monitor students during activities as directed, become familiar with student IEP goals, and report progress regarding student performance and behavior to supervising teacher.
● Participate in professional growth activities.
● Participate in in-service training programs.
● Follow the communicated policies and procedures of the organization.
● Demonstrate professional responsibility and ethical behavior.
Assume responsibilities outside the classroom
● Demonstrate the ability to react well under pressure, handle, and balance multiple demands at one time, work with frequent interruptions, and perform duties and tasks at expected levels of professionalism.
● Demonstrate extensive knowledge of, and ability to, perform duties in full compliance with all organization, Board of Education, State and Federal laws, methods, requirements, policies, procedures, and activities pertinent to the duties of this position.
● Demonstrate the ability to work independently with minimum supervision.
● Demonstrate the ability to use independent judgment and initiative to act without being asked.
● Demonstrate effective and appropriate interpersonal relationships with students, educational staff, parents and staff.
● Respect the confidentiality of information regarding students and be discreet in dealing with parents and educational personnel.
● Perform all other duties as assigned by supervisor(s).