Great Lakes Academy is a high performing charter school that opened in 2014. For the 2019-2020 academic year we will be serving students in grades K-6 and will continue to add a grade level annually to reach K-8. We are seeking high capacity, fiercely positive, growth oriented Social Worker for the 2019-2020 school year.
A Great Lakes Academy Social Worker is part of a team of game-changing staff working to change the face of education on the Southeast Side of Chicago. Our Social Workers are charged with building and sustaining strong relationships with students, staff and families to support the social and emotional development of all Great Lakes Academy students. This role will work to support all students with 504s and IEPs, as well as general education students with support needs, including groups, one-on-one counseling, de-escalation and whole-classroom support. The Social Worker supports both students and teachers, as well as actively collaborates with all staff in the supporting all of our students’ social and emotional needs.
1. Creates and supports implementation of social emotional support in classrooms that develop and grow all Great Lakes Academy students
2. Creates and maintains partnerships with organizations in the community that will benefit GLA students and their families
3. Assists with creating a positive, calm school culture through positive reinforcements and skill-building discipline in a way that demonstrates a steady decline in disciplinary actions across grade levels as the school year progresses and an increase in positively reinforced behaviors
4. Develops strong relationships with parents and families that support families and students in their emotional well-being
5. Creates and manages an internship program that partners with organizations and increases overall supports provided to Great Lakes Academy students
6. Works with classroom instructors and staff to offer targeted counseling and supports to students with special needs as well as general support for all students in the classroom and on campus grounds
1. Assists in creation of Behavior Plans for Tier 2 supports for students and facilitates the referral services for the school based on individual student necessity
2. Assists in the evaluation process of any students referred through the school’s RTI process through diagnostic assessments
3. Assists in the IEP or 504 writing process for students deemed eligible for social work services
4. Enhances access to mental health services by facilitating the referral process from the school, based on the individual client medical necessity
5. Assists all administrators in support of all students experiencing behavior challenges that are impacting their academic progress or emotional well-being
6. Supports students when necessary with targeted crisis counseling and provides families with resources for crisis management
7. Develops and maintains relationships with local and citywide counseling organizations, colleges or universities that will benefit students and families
8. Carries a caseload of students providing therapy, case management services and prevention services as appropriate
1. Strong communication and relationship building skills
2. Ability to establish relationships with a variety of individuals, from students to families to staff and community organizations
3. Organized and able to keep appropriate records and maintain compliant caseload
4. Self-starter, able to independently seek out new partnerships and opportunities for the school and its students
5. Creative thinker, considering various best practices to support students and teachers
1. Masters in Social Work is required.
2. Licensed in Illinois to provide School Social Work.
3. Minimum of one year experience working with elementary students
4. Belief in, and commitment to, the Great Lakes Academy school mission and vision is non-negotiable.
Culture Fit- Do these words describe you?
Fiercely positive, Hard-working, Intelligent, Team-oriented, Organized, Sense of humor, Belief in the power of education, Humble, Self-reflective, Goal-oriented, Enthusiastic
Go to www.glachicago.org and complete an application.
As an equal opportunity employer, Great Lakes Academy hires without consideration to race, religion, creed, color, national origin, age, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status, disability, or any other category protected by applicable law.