Great Lakes Academy Spanish/ESL Teacher
Great Lakes Academy is a high performing K-8 charter school that opened in 2014. For the 2019-2020 academic year we will be serving students in grades K-6 and will continue to add a grade level annually to reach K-8. We are seeking a high capacity, fiercely positive, growth-oriented Spanish/ESL Teacher for the 2019-2020 school year.
A Great Lakes Academy Spanish/ESL Teacher will be a part of a team of game-changing teachers working to change the face of education on the Southeast Side of Chicago. Our teachers takes responsibility for the high academic achievement and character development of every child in his or her classroom.
1. Demonstrates a classroom culture that is fiercely positive and devotes the majority of time to instruction rather than discipline
2. Instills a joy of learning in students and works to develop motivated and self-monitoring learners with the skills to set, monitor and meet academic, enrichment, and SEL goals
3. Establishes relationships with students’ families, cultivating engaging, rigorous learning environments for our students in and out of the classroom
4. Creates Scope and Sequence that builds students’ fluency in the Spanish language and cultural literacy
5. Consistently models the BE GREAT Great Lakes Academy core values: Bravery, Endurance, Growth, Responsibility, Enthusiasm, Achievement, and Team
6. Develops a strong relationship with, and contributes to the development of, fellow teachers; collaborates with all staff members across team, grade level and experience
7. Design learning plans for students in grades K-6 based on ACCESS language test results
8. Prepare students to pass the ACCESS test and exit the transitional program of instruction
1. Implements language instructional program and prepares lessons that reflect accommodations for differences in student’s abilities and learning styles.
2. Cultivates positive, collaborative relationships with families and consistent communication with families
3. Assesses and evaluates student growth; action plans on class-wide, group-wide and individual basis in response to student data
4. Administers WIDA and ACCESS assessments
5. Serves as interpreter for IEP/504/Parent Meetings and translates parent communication
6. Leads the Bilingual Advisory Committee meetings
7. Plans and effectively delivers Spanish curriculum
8. Provides pull-out ESL instruction to individuals and small groups
9. Creates a classroom culture that develops in students the BE GREAT core values and independent learning skills
10. Participates and grows tremendously during annual three-week staff orientation and training
11. Provides meaningful feedback to colleagues and collaborates and shares ideas and lessons with colleagues
1. Outstanding classroom management that relies on positive, proactive reinforcement of high behavioral standards
2. Strong relationship builder with students, families, and other staff members
3. Critical thinker with ability to analyze data and adjust plans to improve student achievement
4. Growth mindset and ability to accept and implement feedback
5. Ability to work collaboratively and without ego
6. Willingness to place student achievement as highest goal
7. Self-reflective, with a drive to continually grow as a teacher
1. Bachelor’s degree is required
2. Spanish fluency
3. EL/Bi-lingual certified
4. Teaching experience in an urban public school or charter school setting preferred, but not required
5. Valid IL State Certification
6. Belief in and alignment with Great Lakes Academy’s core beliefs and educational philosophy is non-negotiable.
Culture Fit- Do these words describe you?
Fiercely positive, Hard-working, Intelligent, Team oriented, Organized, Sense of humor, Belief in the power of education, Humble, Self-reflective, Goal-oriented, Enthusiastic, Growth Oriented
Email your resume and cover letter to Katherine Cherry at email@example.com and go to the career page at www.glachicago.org and apply!
As an equal opportunity employer, Great Lakes Academy hires without consideration to race, religion, creed, color, national origin, age, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status, disability, or any other category protected by applicable law.