Great Lakes Academy Special Education Teacher
Great Lakes Academy is a high performing K-8 charter school that opened in 2014. For the 2019-2020 academic year we will be serving students in grades K-6 and will continue to add a grade level annually to reach K-8. We are seeking a high capacity, fiercely positive, growth oriented Special Education Teacher for the 2019-2020 school year.
The Special Education Teacher is responsible for the pre-referral and referral processes of special education, as well as overseeing the creation of, and execution of, IEPs and 504s for special needs students. The Special Education Teacher also provides services for all students with IEPs or 504s in the school. The Special Education Teacher is responsible for helping create and provide intervention support for students at the school.
1. Assists in ongoing monitoring and support of all students at the school, whether they are in the RTI process, have an IEP or 504, or are struggling with a particular concept or subject.
2. Drafts and executes IEPs for a variety of students with a variety of special needs, from academic to social/emotional.
3. Ensures school is in compliance with all state and federal special education laws.
4. Identifies all qualified students and connects them to the appropriate special education services.
1. Creates and executes engaging lessons that supports all special needs such that they consistently meet and exceed their IEP goals.
2. Manages weekly meetings with teachers and leadership team monitoring student progress.
3. Assists in the Response to Intervention (RTI) process, and any testing necessary.
4. Coordinates with teachers and other special education team members in serving students with special needs.
5. Executes IEP supports, from modifications to accommodations, from push-in to pull-out interventions.
6. Collaborates with Student Support Services Coordinator and teachers in coordinating support schedules for all special needs students.
7. Manages parent relationships and communications for students receiving special services.
1. Ability to modify and/or accommodate lesson plans to create individualized lesson plans to support students of all different needs and abilities.
2. Able to write highly individualized, data driven IEPs and 504s.
3. Knowledge of state and federal special education laws to ensure the compliance of the school with regulatory requirements.
4. Ability to clearly communicate with families, students, and staff regarding individual student needs.
5. Ability to collaborate with classroom teachers to support all students.
6. Strong coordination and collaboration skills to organize and schedule the special services of all qualified students.
1. Bachelor’s degree is required; Master’s degree is preferred.
2. Minimum of one year special education teaching experience in an urban public school or charter school setting is preferred.
3. Valid Illinois Special Education State Certification is required.
4. Belief in and alignment with Great Lakes Academy’s core beliefs and educational philosophy is non-negotiable.
Culture Fit- Do these words describe you?
Fiercely Positive, Hard-Working, Intelligent, Team oriented, Organized, Sense of Humor, Humble, Self-Reflective, Goal-Oriented, Enthusiastic.
Go to www.glachicago.org and click on Apply and email your resume and cover letter to Katherine Cherry at email@example.com.
As an equal opportunity employer, Great Lakes Academy hires without consideration to race, religion, creed, color, national origin, age, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status, disability, or any other category protected by applicable law.